East Lothian Yacht Club was founded in 1928, initially renting the upstairs of the Fishermen's Hall as its base (next door to the present clubhouse). In 1931 the club moved to its present place, an old granary built circa 1802, which it leased from the Hamilton Dalrymple family. This is a grade 'B' listed building. Later the club leased the lower store from the Town Council.
In 1990 the club bought the 'watchhut' (an ex coastguard lookout post) and the lower store. This was the club's first venture into real estate! It was followed in 1993 by the purchase of the old lifeboat store, next door to the lower store. Then in 1997 the club bought the clubhouse from Sir Hew Hamilton Dalrymple. An ambitious renovation project was planned, and after successfully raising the required finance, the project started in October 2002 and finished on time and to budget in May 2003.
In 2001 the club became a recognised RYA Teaching Establishment, and achieved RYA Powerboat Training Status. The next year the club was awarded RYA Sailability Foundation Level Recognition and Volvo Youth Sailing Status. Also the club was RYA Scotland 'Club of the Year 2007'.
With a growing number of boats, particularly rescue boats, secure storage has become pressing. When the plant room became available from East Lothian Council in 2000, the club leased it on a monthly basis. This provided a lot of rather inaccessible floor space. The Scottish Seabird Centre borrowed some of the space, until the plant room was divided between the SSC and ELYC. In 2005 the club invested heavily in adapting its section of the plant room for boat storage, with room for two RIBs, and Lasers on racks. ELYC still leases the (now smaller) plant room from ELC.